Some of the cmdlets for managing Microsoft Exchange 2007 cannot be executed on a 64-bit platform, which is the required platform for Exchange itself. Using the
export-mailbox cmdlet to export to a PST file is one such example. So, you have to install these tools on a 32-bit platform such as Windows XP SP2. The steps are simple and straightforward.
- Install IIS Common Files (Add or Remove Programs… Windows Components)
- Install Microsoft .NET Framework 2.0
- Install Microsoft MMC 3.0 for Windows XP (included in Windows XP SP3)
- Install Microsoft Powershell
- Install Exchange 2007 SP1
- Choose the custom install
- Select the ‘Management tools’ only
In another post I’ll show you how to script the
export-mailbox cmdlet using a CSV file as the input.